How to Clean Crystal Wine Glasses
With New Year’s Eve almost here, celebration preparations are underway! And, our crystal glasses are due to make an appearance, as we say goodbye to 2011 and toast in 2012. As it is best to avoid washing your best crystal in the dishwasher, cleaning and polishing fine crystal requires a little extra effort.
Here are a few tips for cleaning your crystal wine glasses or champagne flutes:
• To reduce risk of breaking, lay a cotton terrycloth towel or rubber mat on the bottom of your kitchen sink.
• Fill sink with warm (not hot) water, and a small amount of mild detergent.
• Gently wash each crystal glass one at a time with a soft cloth or sponge. Where required a soft brush may be used on cut crystal.
• Rinse in tepid water, and place on a soft cotton kitchen towel to dry. (Ours are perfect!) Some people prefer a double rinse solution, rinsing in a sink with a mix of water and about 1/2 cup of white vinegar, then rinse again in tepid water. This will ensure there are absolutely no water spots.
• Polish crystal by hand immediately, using a soft cotton towel.
• Cradle the bowl of the wine glass in your hand while polishing with the other. Never twist the bowl against the stem while polishing as this increases the odds of breaking or cracking the stem. Likewise, do not twist the base of the wine glass or champagne flute against the stem either.
So why are The Turkish Towel Company’s kitchen towels so extraordinarily wonderful for cleaning your fine crystal?
Because they are made from soft premium cotton and combine a beautiful, upscale waffle weave on the outside with a terry cotton on the inside. It means that they can mop up spills with ease, as well as polish fine crystal wine glasses and champagne flutes. (Also, they look fabulous!)
Here is a close-up of the elegant waffle weave side of our kitchen towel. Note the fine quality weave.
Here is a close-up of the terry interior. The soft cotton loops ensure that the kitchen towel is absorbent!
However you celebrate the New Year, cheers from all of us here at The Turkish Towel Company!