What does Sustainability Mean to Us?
Here and there on our website, you’ll see that we say our towels are sustainably made. In an era where everyone has hopped on the “eco wagon” – what does this truly mean? Are there concrete steps, processes and outcomes in place? The answer is yes.
We take sustainability seriously.
For everyone here at The Turkish Towel Company, sustainability is a combination of three very important factors:
- Environmental – How Our Products are Made
- Socioeconomic – How We Impact Our Employees’ Lives
- Community – How We Play a Role in Our Community
We wanted to share with you just some of the ways we ensure our operations are sustainable.
– We only use premium Turkish cotton, and make everything in Turkey, reducing our carbon footprint and ensuring traceability.
– The cotton we use in our organic products is GOTS certified.
– Our mill is Oeko-Tex certified, an international standard that sets limits on close to 200 potentially harmful substances and chemicals, including phthalates and VOC emissions.
– We are pioneering the use of lighter weight towels in the hospitality industry
– Our operations are as sustainable and ethical as possible, using only safe dyes and procedures.
– We have a closed-loop system for water use, collecting and using rainwater, cleaning and reusing it.
– All employees at our manufacturing facility receive fair wages.
– We happily provide our workers with free transportation to and from work, hot lunches and daily snack breaks.
– A doctor visits our mill twice a week, enabling employees with any concerns or sickness to get advice, a prescription or a reference to a hospital.
– We are committed to accelerating equality for all and to creating an inclusive, accessible workplace that supports persons with disabilities.
– Every year we donate our products to women’s shelters or for raffles for a variety of causes including breast cancer fundraisers
– We have donated pallets of towels to the victims of hurricanes.
– We also donate towels to animal shelters and rescue centers.
Did You Know?
Our mill in Turkey is woman-owned and family run. Co-founder, Seher Gürgün, is a fourth generation weaver, and personally oversees every aspect of the production of our towels and robes. Watch the video below to learn more.